As we have been spending more time at home – both leisure and work time – during the pandemic, there’s a good chance that many of us may spend too much time sitting! The good news is that there are some easy ways to combat the sedentary lifestyle that can lead to a greater risk of heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes and other conditions, and make your day more active:
- Stand up to take phone calls.
- Hold standing meetings.
- Hold walking meetings.
- Set a timer to remind you to stand up and stretch or take a walk every hour.
- Take a 30-minute walk during your lunch hour.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Park a little farther away from the door when going to the store.
- Consider walking or biking places, if feasible.
The easiest way to start is to pick one or two of these and add them to your daily routine. Then when you’ve turned your new behaviors into a habit, add another. Over time, small changes made today can add up to big results when it comes to your health every day.